Academy of Medicine, Georgia Institute of Technology
The Academy of Medicine, built in 1941, a Neo-Classical building, is recognized as a Landmark Building by the City of Atlanta, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in April of 1980. It was originally built to house the Medical Association of Atlanta and intended as a meeting place for physicians. The structure is 20,000 SF and comprises one main floor and a built-out basement. Philip T. Shutze is credited with the design. In July of 2008, the Atlanta Medical Heritage, Inc. brokered a deal to donate the Academy of Medicine to The Georgia Tech Foundation. The facility operates as a Georgia Tech event and meeting venue. The project achieved LEED Gold.